Monday, November 9, 2015

Hiding His Words



Welcome to another Motivational Monday! I hope you enjoy reading these posts as much as I enjoy writing them for you. Today's thoughts are all about hiding His words in our hearts.


*************************************************************


“The Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send to you in My name, He will teach you and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you,” John 14:26.

When I was in elementary school the church I attended offered a special music program for students in first through sixth grades. My family and I attended one of the largest churches in Hattiesburg, MS, so we had lots of little programs we could join. This one was called Hymns in my Heart. Each grade level was assigned a group of hymns, and we students were to memorize those hymns. Every word to every verse. It was a big undertaking for the littler ones!

I’ve been a musician since as long as I can remember. Some of my earliest memories include playing the piano at my grandparents’ house, learning scales and how to play one-handed Jingle Bells. Music has always been a part of who I am, so of course I took the opportunity to participate in Hymns in my Heart. And those who completed the year got a shiny plastic trophy! Grin. Actually, if a student completed all six years we would be presented with a hymnal with our name engraved on the front. It seemed cool to this first grader!

Each year the hymns got progressively longer and harder, but I was determined. And I was the only student in my grade to complete all six years.

The reason I want to share this story with you is certainly not to boast about my meager accomplishments. I was studying the book of John when a verse popped off the page. It really struck a chord in my mind. John 14:26 tells us the Holy Spirit, who lives inside us Christians, will bring to remembrance all Jesus has said to us. My hymns that were hidden in my heart were based on the Word of God. Psalm 119:11 says “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” When we hide His Word in our hearts, the Holy Spirit brings it to our remembrance when we need it. If we are at war with the adversary, we know that we can use the Sword of the Spirit (Eph. 6:17), the Word of God, to slay any and all that comes against us.

It is so important that we truly know and hide His Word in our hearts. It is the very weapon we have to fight with. Is it hard for you to remember verses? There’s no need! When you truly commit to studying God’s Word, and actively try to memorize what you read, the Holy Spirit himself will remember it for you! You are never alone in battle. The Sword is within you.

Keep on fighting, Friends! After all, the battle is already won (1 John 5:4)!

****************************************************


Be sure to follow Vogue Happiness by email or Bloglovin!

I love hearing from you, so comment away with likes or thoughts for future posts.

You can follow along daily at:



No comments:

Post a Comment