Monday, September 22, 2014

Believing God - Week 1

 
 
 
Do you "Believe God" or merely believe in Him?
 
This question has been prompted over and over to my Bible study group, and the answers are quite chilling. Do we take God at His Word, believing what He told us, or do we just believe in His existence and the salvation that He offers?
 
We are actually on Week 2 since my blog posts are usually a week behind, and I must say, I've enjoyed every minute thus far. And it's not just the Bible study written by the great Beth Moore. It's the weekly inter-generational gathering of ladies in all stages of life. If my math is correct, I am the youngest at 30 and we go all the way to 83 (I will not disclose the name of said 83 year old. Grin!) I did the Bible study a number of years ago, but I love how everything is falling afresh on me. I also own the book Believing God as well. I like how Beth writes Bible studies supplemental to her bestselling books so you can dive deeper.
 
This week we focused on New Testament interpretations of the Old Testament Promised Land. We base this on God's promise of a large property - Promised Land - to Abraham. While Heaven is the ultimate land of promise, the concept of a promised land indeed has applications in our earthly lives. In essence, our "promised land" is where our theology merges with our reality. In other words, where the "walk" matches the "talk". And how do we assume this land of promise on earth? Faith.
 
Faith closes the gap between theology and reality.
 
God has an earthy inheritance waiting for us if we believe. You don't have to wonder if God wants to bless you. The answer is a resounding YES. All the blessings of Christ are for every believer. It is the hope of your calling. Why hope? Because God is not going to force our callings on any of us. We have to want it. We want to see the hope of our calling fulfilled in our lives. And our #1 hindrance is unbelief.
 
For the next nine weeks, the ladies and I will be pursuing a fresh explosion of faith in our lives. To fill the gap between what we believe in - and what we actively believe.
 
Every Monday I will post a wrap up of Bible study, intriguing facts on Christian apologetics or other motivational stories. It's always good to start our week on a positive note. It's one of the many things that make me - happy!
 
 
*Believing God Bible study available here.
*Believing God book available here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment